Popular Posts

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Cape Fear Naturalist: Wrightsville Beach Scenic Tours and Island Ferry Service

Cape Fear Naturalist: Wrightsville Beach Scenic Tours and Island Ferry Service

Hey Everyone,

This is Newman with a quick update. Yesterday (Jan 7, 2012), I saw some Gannets.

WikiPedia Link for Gannet

There were several sitting in the water just beyond the shorebreak of Masonboro Island. They sort of reminded me of a skinny cormmorant but with distinctive black tipped wings.

I'm told they only arrive to the Carolina Coast in the Winter.

In other News, it didn't feel like winter yesterday here in Wilmington, NC - 70 degrees and blazing sun. I kayaked thru the Masonboro Inlet in my T-SHIRT! Also, we saw a huge pod of Atlantic Dolphin swimming and feeding in the lnet and ICW waterway. Viewing the creatures from the cockpit of a kayak makes you appreciate the SIZE of a dolphin - they are big. Several swam within two paddles lengths from me. Amazing!

cheers,
Newman

No comments:

Post a Comment